Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sun Oven Preparation & Benefits


Preparation
I longed for a Sun Oven for over a year.  I received one in the mail about a month ago.  I did not begin using it right away because I was part too nervous and part too busy.  Nervous was the biggest part of it though.  Whenever I plan to try something new, I tend to get anxious and procrastinate.  Today, I finally pulled it out of the box!  There was a little prepping involved.  

1.  I read a lot.  I began by reading Cooking with Sunshine (by Lorraine Anderson & Rick Palkovic).  Also, I went through all the information that came with the oven, including the CD.  

2.  I removed the oven and took inventory of the items included.  I was pleased to receive in the package everything I need to begin cooking, including 2 bread pans, 2 all-purpose pans that fit on top of each other, 3 drying racks, WAPI, and parchment paper.  The CD that came with it (though poorly edited) was extremely helpful.  It includes Sun Oven recipes, videos, instructions, and tips.  The software on the CD allows for a user to "capture" web recipes and add them to personalized electronic cookbooks.  Once the recipes are in, there are easy menu and grocery store planners embedded in the software.  

3. Then, I carefully peeled off the protective cover film on all of the sun screens.  

4.  Next, I carried the oven outside. I was surprised how easy it was to work with.  There is a handle on the oven, so I was able to carry it like a suitcase. I effortlessly set it up and moved it around. The oven was not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be.  

5.  The instructions state to initially leave the oven in the sun for at least 90 minutes with an open pan of vinegar.  About 2 hours later,  I used the vinegar to wipe down the oven.  

6. I washed all the pots and accessories that came with the oven and found a place in the cabinets for them.

Now, I am officially ready to begin my solar cooking journey!  

Benefits

My initial reason for wanting a Sun Oven was to help my family be more prepared in a crisis.  There are several other benefits I have found in my reading.

1.  The oven can be used as a dehydrator.  I have been looking at electric dehydrators the past few months.  I nearly bought one.  Then, I realized the Sun Oven will do the job without electricity.  The 3 drying racks can be used for dehydrating foods (or making cookies).  

2.  The oven can be used to purify water. It cannot purify mass amounts, but in a pinch it would help.  I also have a water purifier for larger quantities.  The package included a WAPI which is a device that is used to help determine when the water has been brought to the proper temperature to be safe for drinking, cooking, or washing.

3.  The oven lowers energy bills.  It both saves energy (money) by not using a traditional oven and in the summer by not running the AC to counteract the heat from the oven.

4.  The oven can cook multiple items at once.  I have heard stories of people putting in a pot roast, a cobbler, and a side vegetable at the same time.  As long as it can fit in the sealed Sun Oven box, it will all equally cook.  

5.  The oven helps lock in many of the natural flavors and nutrients lost in traditional cooking.  Food doesn't dry out or burn.  It is a win-win for novice and health-conscious cooks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment