Saturday, May 24, 2014

Gardening: Some Trial and Error Using Earth Boxes and Other Containers


I spent a lot of time “preparing” to garden, but doing nothing to start because I was so afraid of failure.  Then, someone told me that much of gardening is trial and error.  Honestly, it freed me up as perfectionist to not get upset or discouraged when things don’t work too well.   Here are a few of the trials and errors I have been working through.  

I started my morning today with a little gardening.  I added some tomato plants I bought (1.77 for 4) since my tomato seedlings did not take (still working on getting the seedling thing down).  I put 2 in an Earth Box ($40) which is a “fool” proof system.  What appealed to me is that everything is included in the package except the dirt. It was easy to put together (There are videos on their site.).  The site provides guidelines for planting which I appreciated a lot since I am a novice.  Another aspect I like is the watering system—you can never over or under water!  You simply add water in the tube at the top which becomes part of a reserve under the plant.  When it is full, it begins to overflow at the bottom.  This system allows for you to “forget” to water if you are super busy or to go away a few days without worrying about your plants.  Check out the Earth Box website if you are interested in learning more about this system.  It is ideal for container or patio gardeners. 

I also re-potted 2 tomato plants in some inexpensive containers I found at Wal-mart (under $5 each).   I did it in part to save money (a lot cheaper than an Earth Box) and to test if there is any difference in the plants between the two systems.   These containers also have a water reserve at the bottom.  

In addition, I separated the 2 inexpensive containers into 2 locations to test out which place (if any) seems to do better (front or back of house).  Wal-mart also had some bamboo in the garden area for under $3 which I bought to make a tomato support system later on.    

I am having some trial and error with where to put my plants.  I wanted to put them on my deck, but it is in need of repairs (hopefully they will get done this summer).  I put them on my back patio, but they were clearly not getting enough sun.  I moved them (luckily the Earth Boxes have an option to add wheels) right off the patio and into the grassy area.   I also made the error I using the white side of the plant cover.  Since normally we have such hot summers (it has been unseasonably cool) and it seems like my flowers at the back of the house get scorched, I thought white (reflecting rather than absorbing) would be better.  Today, I use my extra covers and re-covered them using the black side. 

I re-potted the 2 additional cilantro plants I had.  I put those in the garden area because I have heard that deer do not like the smell, which keeps them away from the other plants.  I also have lavender and marigolds in the garden area.  They deter garden pests of all kinds. 

So far, I am enjoying gardening immensely, even with all the trials and errors.   It is a great outlet for me in the summer months when I am not working.   

No comments:

Post a Comment