Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Planting Potatoes in Burlap Sacks


I was hoping to be able to use my solar oven today. Instead, I spent time with some good friends (one is visiting from out of town).  I did not waver from my goal of doing something self-sufficient each day this summer though.

I am gardening for the first time, primarily with containers.  The downside is the initial expense of the containers.  Fortunately, I found an inexpensive way to plant potatoes--thanks to the Internet.  

I purchased burlap sacks at a local nursery for only $1.00 each.  The only difficulty with this task was getting a sweet little black & white cat to move off her sleeping perch on top of them. Also, be sure to give the sack a once over look. Some of the sacks I came across had large rips on one side.


My nursery also had potatoes buds.  I bought 2 different kinds for $1.75 total.  I have enough to plant 4 sacks. 

The only other expense is something to plant them with.  I used a bag of Miracle Grow for vegetable gardens (cost about $7.00).  On Youtube, I saw videos where people used compost (free if you make your own), straw, and even shredded paper.  For now, I am sticking to the Miracle Grow.  

I planted 2 sacks in the cool of the evening.  It was super quick and easy.  Anyone with a porch, deck, or balcony can use this method.   All you do is fold the sack down til it is about a 10 inches high.  I filled in the bottom 4-5 inches with soil.  I placed the potatoes in and added a few more inches of dirt.  Finally, I watered.  

According to the videos and information I reviewed, I will need to roll the bag up and add dirt periodically as the plants grow.  Eventually, the whole bag should be full of potatoes!  

One of my fellow prepper friends convinced me that potatoes are the way to go.  In a long term crisis, the ability to grow your own potatoes would be essential.  First, growing potatoes in sacks like these take up little space and can be stored just about anywhere.   Second, you can keep the process going easily by setting a few potatoes aside after each harvest to re-plant.  Third, potatoes are an excellent staple that can be used as a whole nutritious meal or as a compliment to other foods.  

Still need convincing you should grow potatoes as part of your own self-reliance plan?  Check out this website on the health benefits and nutritional value.  





No comments:

Post a Comment